If you read the Undoctored book, you know that cholesterol testing is a woefully outdated method to gauge cardiovascular risk, a remnant of old research from the 1950s and 1960.
If you spin blood down in a high-speed centrifuge, the various lipoproteins (fat and proteins) separate out by density: high-density lipoproteins at the bottom, low-density above, very low-density at the top, each layer comprised of huge numbers of lipoproteins.
Quantifying lipoproteins at each density level in 1960 was not easy, so an indirect method was developed: choose one marker that could be used to crudely estimate the number of lipoproteins in each density fraction.
IT has become clear that workplace wellness programsDO NOT WORK: While nearly half of all employers now have onsite workplace wellness programs, such programs do not save money nor do they help make participants healthier.
While there is nothing wrong with advising smoking cessation, wearing a Fitbit to count steps, or “knowing your numbers,” these simple efforts are woefully inadequate to, say, help a type 2 diabetic become non-diabetic, reverse rheumatoid arthritis, or eliminate 8 or 9 prescription medications, the sorts of successes we enjoy all the time with the Undoctored approach.
Let’s focus on some of the program goals that are achievable in various lab values that reflect metabolic health.
These values reflect the status of your insulin resistance or sensitivity; the status of fatty liver; markers for cardiovascular risk; liver health; and thyroid status.
Measures to consider therefore include an NMR lipoprotein panel (with lipoprotein(a) on the first time this is run); hemoglobin A1c, fasting glucose, fasting insulin; 25-hydroxy vitamin D; TSH, free T3, free T4, reverse T3, thyroid antibodies; AST, ALT.
Reasons to restore the omega-3 fatty acid content of your body.
- It reaches across numerous health conditions, numerous organ systems.
- A moderate increase in intake reduces the chance of sudden cardiac death.
- Higher intakes lead to reductions in total cardiovascular events, like heart attack.
- It results in a reduction in triglycerides, reduction in small LDL particles, and a
reduction in postprandial lipoproteins.
- Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA are anti-inflammatory.
EPA andDHAare the two essentialomega-3 fatty acids.
Where do you naturally find
them? Fish, to a lesser degree algae, and the brains of land animals.
- If you don’t get omega-3 fatty acids, you get very ill.
- It might show up as cardiovascular disease or accelerated dementia or and
increased risk for autoimmune diseases, like rheumatoid arthritis.
The average North American is deficient in omega-3 fatty acids because we eat foods that have been laden with processed oils, not the essential omega-3 fatty acids.
The average American’s lifetime risk for developing high blood pressure is 90%.
9 steps, if followed, allow the majority of people with high blood pressure (BP) to reduce both systolic and diastolic values over time and be freed of the need for prescription antihypertensive medication:
- Eat NO grains or sugars–Remember: from a blood sugar standpoint, most grains are worse than sugar in their blood sugar raising potential. The safety of “complex” carbohydrates in grains is complete fiction: their glycemic indexes are higher than sucrose.
CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH GRAIN CONSUMPTION: AUTOIMMUNE
• Gliadin protein initiates the first step in autoimmune diseases.
• Gliadin protein has the unique capacity to open the barriers between enterocytes, between
intestinal cells and allow entry of foreign molecules.
• This is reflected by an increase in serum zonulin levels.
The zonulin protein is a mediator of
• Wheat and grain elimination is a very powerful first step in trying to reverse, or at least minimize
the expression of about 200 autoimmune conditions.
CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH GRAIN CONSUMPTION: CARDIOVASCULAR
• Most of this research came about as a result of an effort to give patients better ways, better
tools, to reduce or eliminate cardio-vascular risk, risk for heart attack, need for stents and bypass
surgery, and strokes and carotid endarterectomy.
• The number one most common cause of cardiovascular disease in the world is an excess of
small LDL particles. That you will only see on more advanced lipoprotein testing, but it’s very
CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH GRAIN CONSUMPTION: DIABETES
• Type 2 diabetes: People with type 2 diabetes have high blood sugars, high fasting blood sugars,
high after-eating blood sugars, and are often on insulin and/or oral diabetes drugs to reduce
• When you remove wheat and grains, and thereby the Amylopectin A that raises blood sugar,
you’re going to see a dramatic and abrupt decrease in after-eating blood sugars.
• That means a person with diabetes, has to cut back the insulin and the
oral drugs right away because you don’t want hypoglycemia, low blood sugars.
Why grain free works so well
CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH GRAIN CONSUMPTION: WEIGHT
• Wheat and grains are obesogens:
Gliadin protein-derived opiates drive appetite, increase consumption, increase intake of
Amylopectin A leads to high blood sugars followed by low blood sugars, in a two-hour
• Remove wheat and grains:
Addictive relationships with food disappear
High blood sugars are reduced
Dramatic reduction in caloric intake, typically 400 to 800, buts as many as 1500 calories
less per day.