Why grain free works so well
• Wheat germ agglutinin:
Part of a class of proteins called Lectins
Found, with an identical structure, in rye, barley and rice
Highly inflammatory when it enters the blood stream, when you get the intestinal leakiness from the Gliadin protein
Directly toxic to the intestinal lining. If just a speck, a milligram, is purified and given to a laboratory rat and fed to it, its intestinal tract is destroyed
The average grain eating person consumes about 18 to 20 milligrams per day – a very large quantity of this direct intestinal toxic. So it’s no wonder that we get irritable bowel syndrome symptoms and acid reflux and esophagitis
• Wheat germ agglutinin powerfully blocks Cholecystokinin, CCK:
CCK triggers the gallbladder to release of bile. Which helps break down fats
CCK also triggers the pancreas to release its pancreatic enzymes, to digests fats, proteins, carbohydrates
Impaired release of bile from the gall bladder, causes bile stasis – the situation that leads to gallstone formation, crystallization of bile stasis – and impaired, reduced release of pancreatic enzymes
Impaired capacity for digestion leads to problems like acid reflux, indigestion, bowel urgency, diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, and dysbiosis
• Phytates (or phytic acid) are in grains to protect the seed from insects and birds:
Modern agribusiness has increased the phytate content because it provides pest resistance to the wheat fields
Phytates are very powerful binders of any positively-charged ion of cations, so that means magnesium, iron and zinc, all positively charged, are very powerfully bound by phytic acid and phytates, and are passed out into the stool
The phytate content, for example, of two slices of whole wheat bread is sufficient to reduce your ability to absorb iron by 90%
• Amylopectin A in starch or carbohydrate grains, is highly digestible, and explains why the glycemic index of grains, such as whole wheat bread, are among the highest of all foods.
Highly digestible by the enzyme amylase in human saliva and in the stomach So just two slices of whole wheat bread send blood sugar sky high
• Other components in wheat and grasses that we won’t go into detail about, but suffice to say that there are dozens of others, such as alpha-amylase inhibitors, trypsin inhibitors, serpins and thioreductases.
• The bottom-line here is that you can appreciate gluten is the tip of the iceberg. We think more precisely about the problems of wheat and grains by thinking about Gliadin and then wheat germ agglutinin, and its toxic effects, phytates, Amylopectin A, and other proteins that are mostly allergenic.