• Most of this research came about as a result of an effort to give patients better ways, better tools, to reduce or eliminate cardio-vascular risk, risk for heart attack, need for stents and bypass surgery, and strokes and carotid endarterectomy.
• The number one most common cause of cardiovascular disease in the world is an excess of small LDL particles. That you will only see on more advanced lipoprotein testing, but it’s very easy.
• Example from Nuclear Magnetic Resonance lipoprotein NMR analysis: Patient at the start with coronary disease, maybe this person had bypass surgery, survived a heart attack, got three stents, whatever, this person at the start might have a value of 1800 nanomoles per litre of small LDL particles. We implement the strategies described throughout this course and small LDL drops to 0 or near 0.
• Additionally, with this lifestyle, triglycerides drop to the floor.
Triglycerides are in a particle called VLDL – Very Low Density Lipoprotein
High triglycerides reflect an excess of these VLDL particles that modify the composition of other particles: the process that created the small LDL particles
Therefore a drop in triglycerides means there’s fewer VLDL particles to create those small LDL particles
A drop in triglycerides, from 300 to 50 represents dramatic improvement in the lipoprotein composition in the bloodstream and thereby a dramatic reduction in cardio-vascular risk.
• HDL often goes up dramatically over time. It can take 2 years and can even initially drop when you lose weight. Another dramatic improvement in cardio-vascular risk profile.
• Blood pressure drops dramatically and that reduces cardio-vascular risk. It’s not uncommon for clients to have their blood pressure drop to normal and not need blood pressure medicine.
As they become less hypertensive you’re going to have to act quickly and reduce or even eliminate some of the blood pressure drugs, or work with the other practitioner who’s able to do so. Recognize that some medications cannot be abruptly stopped, such as beta blockers and clonidine, drugs like Metoprolol, or Sotalol, or Inderal. They have to be tapered over time.
• Inflammation drops with this lifestyle. You can even see it reflected in blood tests such as Creactive protein, an inflammatory measure from the liver. You’ll see CRPC reactive protein drop to the floor with this lifestyle. Another dramatic reduction in cardio-vascular risk.