Reasons to restore the omega-3 fatty acid content of your body.
- It reaches across numerous health conditions, numerous organ systems.
- A moderate increase in intake reduces the chance of sudden cardiac death.
- Higher intakes lead to reductions in total cardiovascular events, like heart attack.
- It results in a reduction in triglycerides, reduction in small LDL particles, and a
reduction in postprandial lipoproteins.
- Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA are anti-inflammatory.
- Omega-3s reduce blood pressure.
- Over the few hours following a meal, digestion floods the bloodstream with
digestive byproducts – all the breakdown products of fats, proteins, and
carbohydrates. Those are lipoproteins, the fat-carrying proteins where a lot of
cardiovascular disease grows. That’s where atherosclerotic plaque grows in your
coronary arteries, carotid arteries, and elsewhere. One of the wonderful effects of
the EPA and the DHA fish oil, not the linolenic acid, is that it dramatically blunts that
rise. It’s not eliminated; it’s just much reduced. It does so by a variety of means; one
is that it activates the enzyme lipoprotein lipase that resides along the lining of
arteries and it helps clears all those particles.
REASONS TO SUPPLEMENT OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS: PART 3